Your safari is booked and you’re ready to go, but now it’s time to pack. Packing for your Tanzania Safari can be a bit overwhelming but the TAT Team has you covered!
General Packing List
- In general, pack lightly. Leave room for gifts and souvenirs. Soft sided luggage packs more easily into the safari vehicle.
- Always carry passport, airline tickets and money on your person. A fanny pack or moneybag that hangs around the neck works well.
- In case luggage doesn’t arrive the same day you do, put enough clothing and supplies for the first day in your carryon luggage.
- If taking a domestic flight luggage weight restrictions range between 15-20 kgs (33-44 lbs.) total per person.
- Sturdy, comfortable shoes, preferably waterproof. They will get dirty. o Tennis shoes or sandals for lounging in the evening
- Comfortable, breathable socks
- Shorts, mid-thigh or longer (not advisable for village visits)
- Lightweight, breathable pants
- Short-sleeved shirts, cool and breathable (neutral colors are best, avoid black, dark blue and bright red)
- Bathing suit if staying at a lodge with a swimming pool or if visiting Zanzibar
- Long-sleeved fleece or sweater for evenings and/or early mornings
- Rain jacket or rain poncho
- Women: pants (capri-length or longer) and shirts that cover the shoulder are advisable for village visits. Lightweight dresses or skirts that cover the knees are optional depending on how rural your village visit is but can also be worn for evening dining at the accommodations.
- Men: short-sleeve shirts with collars (for visiting villages or evening dining at the accommodations). o Keep valuable jewelry to a minimum
Note: Laundry service is available at most lodges either at a nominal cost or free of charge in some cases.
- Day pack, for you to carry
- Large waterproof duffel bag or backpack
- Sun hat
- Maps, guidebooks
- Scarf (for dust and/or sun)
- Binoculars (2 pair are standard in each vehicle –
- At least 2 Pairs of Binoculars (Nikon Monarch 8×36 or Eagle Optics Ranger 8×42)
- Money (small Tanzanian bills and/or small US bills for small purchases and tips. Larger US bills and/or travelers checks for bigger purchases)
- Journal/notebook, pencil and pen
- Pocket knife (for travelers doing basic camping) o Electricity adapter
- Energy bars and snacks
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Playing cards, games, books, Frisbee
- Camera, memory cards, minitripod
- Mementos for guides and other travelers
- Personal music device
- Video camera
- Travel pillow
- Small hand towel (spare item)
- Roll of toilet paper (for some public restrooms) o Soap
- Toothbrush and toothpaste o Hand-wipes
- Glasses, contacts, solution o Comb, mirror
- Shampoo (without heavy fragrance)
- Unscented Deodorant (use cologne/perfume sparingly, if at all, in case it might attract bees or other insects)
- Passport (with visa stamp or completed visa application with $50 or $100 US cash, exact change)
- Yellow fever certificate (REQUIRED if traveling from or through an endemic zone – refer to Medical Tips) o Medical and Travel Insurance
- Address book
- Antiseptic cream
- Bandages and tape
- Sunscreen (SPF 15+)
- Diarrhea medicine
- Anti-malaria pills
- Insect repellent
- Lip balm with sunscreen o Prescription drugs
Ready to book your adventure? Our team will create the perfect itinerary for you. Click here to get started!